Monday 8 July 2013

Day 6/7 MITCH TAKES OVER

Hola you little beauties!

I am a little apprehensive about how to articulate the various experiences I have had over the past two days. Joe plumb warned us at the start of this adventure that we would perhaps see the country as a bit of a "sensory overload." I couldn't agree more. The sights, smells etc are unimaginable for both positive and negative reasons.

So today started with another breakfast consisting of eggs. It's funny how quickly food (and in particular eating!) shifts from being a pleasurable experience to simply seeing it as fuel. I have noticed that I have started thinking about how much food I waste at home and this is something I will take home with me. 

We boarded two separate boats to the jungle and arrived after a lovely 2 hour boat ride up the amazon. When we arrived we were greeted by what can only be described as a "jungle gym." My thighs are still crying..... After climbing to the top, I had to put thoughts of becoming a female bear grylls to one side and direct students into the lodges on the site. The Tucan Lodges were small buildings sleeping between 2 and 5 dotted all across a small portion of the land. The wooden walkways were lined with tropical plants of all sizes and colours! When I entered the lodge I was sharing with three other staff members, I realised this would be my first night under a mosquito net. After a brief panic about how I would put it up I was reliable informed that Ben and Mikon, our Peruvian chaperones, would help out!

After a beautiful lunch of rice, palm heart and chicken we donned our boots and heading back through the jungle gym to the boats in search of the animal sanctuary. The boats were buzzing with excitement for the exotic creatures which were waiting for us. THEN OUT OF NOWHERE WE SAW PINK DOLPHINS!!!!! We stopped for a short while and watched as the dolphins dipped and jumped through the amazon. It really was a beautiful experience which I will treasure forever.

We all exited the big boats to then be greeted by two small boys ferrying people across a small creek to the sanctuary. It really took me aback. I couldn't help but think of my own brother who is the same age as many of the students here with us in Peru. They were happy don't get me wrong but for that to be their life was heartbreaking. For there to be so little hope and promise for the future really got to me. My little brother is currently weighing up what university he wants to go to (a country mile from ferrying a group of school students across a dangerous creek) Thankfully my sombre mood quickly changed to one of joy when Bex dropped her shirt on the water and Gerard slipped as he tried to climb out only to be saved by the boys taxying us.....

In the animal sanctuary we met sloths, ant eaters, monkeys, snakes, parrots etc etc. The students were strangely drawn to the sloths... I don't quite know the reason why but for all parents reading this after seeing them at the building site it's certainly not something to do with laziness! YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO HOLD THEM AGAINST THEM WHEN THEY RETURN!

After an eventful evening of noises and mosquito nets we met again in the morning. It's really funny how quickly you realise what's important in life when you're faced with a culture or environment very different to your own. With that in mind we took the executive decision to head back to the hotel a day early. This wasn't through any fault of the group but instead a move to ensure we all stayed fit and well in order to finish the building project we set out to complete.

The journey back consisted of a little bit of fishing! I have to admit I didn't catch a fish despite telling everyone I caught a huge piranha worthy of a Hollywood blockbuster! After putting our rods down we headed back. As the river had dropped it was difficult to see the shallow areas of the amazon, as a result we momentarily got beached on a sand dune.... All adding to the experience!

We all then headed to the children's centre this afternoon. The students excelled and as a result have all headed to bed for an early night. I can't blame them.... My thighs are still crying for the jungle gym alone.....

Mitch xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment